Experienced Orthopedic Neck Specialist in NYC
The area known as the cervical spine (neck) consists of seven vertebrae located between the chest and head. This delicate but vitally important area is more mobile than any other part of your spine, and has the responsibility of balancing the weight of your head – which averages around 11 pounds! Any kind of imbalance can cause neck pain.
Neck pain can radiate into the shoulders, arms and hands and can be accompanied by other symptoms including numbness and tingling. Severe neck pain that doesn’t go away can become quite disabling, but fortunately, there are many forms of neck pain management that Dr. Brisson at New York Spine Care can offer.
Flexibility and strength in your cervical spine is important to your overall health and wellbeing. At New York Spine Care, we understand the fear and stress caused by diagnosis and treatment of neck pain and back pain, and our goal is to provide you with unparalleled expertise and comfort. Dr. Brisson treats each patient as an individual, and he’ll work closely with you to determine the best treatment for neck pain to meet your unique needs.
Don’t endure another day of neck pain. If you’re ready to receive compassionate treatment from NYC's top-rated neck pain doctor, schedule your first appointment with Dr. Brisson at New York Spine Care today.
Neck Pain Treatment Near You
Comprehensive Neck Pain Treatment Options
Neck pain is more common than ever due to habitual activities that cause us to bend our necks, such as texting or using a computer. Neck pain symptoms can be debilitating, affecting mobility, balance and even sleep. Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson, an experienced specialist in NYC, is dedicated to helping patients find relief from neck pain and improve their quality of life.
Dr. Brisson offers treatment for a wide range of conditions that cause neck pain, including:
- (opens in a new tab): Disc herniations involve the displacement of discs in your spine that can cause pain and discomfort. Dr. Brisson can provide herniated disc treatment plans to address this issue.
- (opens in a new tab):Cervical spine stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal that can result in severe pain and decreased mobility. Dr. Brisson offers specialized treatment for this condition.
- Spondylosis (Spinal Osteoarthritis): Spondylosis results from age-related degeneration of the discs in your neck, resulting in stiff necks and other pains. With his expertise, Dr. Brisson can help you manage this condition and improve your quality of life.
- Bone Spurs: Bone spurs, or osteophytes, are bony growths that can cause pain when they press on nearby nerves and other structures. Dr. Brisson is equipped to provide the necessary treatment for this condition.
- Cervical Radiculopathy: Cervical radiculopathy is a condition that occurs when the nerve roots in the neck are compressed or irritated, resulting in pain and numbness. Dr. Brisson’s expertise provides relief from this condition.
- Cervical Myelopathy: Cervical myelopathy is a serious condition where the spinal cord becomes compressed in the neck, decreasing nerve function. Dr. Brisson can provide you with relief from this debilitating condition.
Many patients can find relief from their neck pain through non-surgical treatments, and Dr. Brisson will always start with the most conservative approach to treatment. He offers a variety of non-invasive options, such as:
- Pain medications
- Physical therapy
- Lifestyle guidance
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Topical ointments
- Corticosteroid neck injections for pain
In some cases, surgery may be the most effective option for long-term relief from neck pain. Dr. Brisson specializes in various surgical treatments, including:
- (opens in a new tab):Dr. Brisson specializes in revision spine surgery, which is designed to correct or improve upon a previous spinal surgery.
- (opens in a new tab):Cervical spine fusion is a procedure that is performed to stabilize the cervical spine by using bone grafts and metal plates or rods to fuse two or more vertebrae together.
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion: This procedure is used to remove a herniated disc or bone spurs that are causing pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
- Single or Multilevel
- Posterior Laminectomy and Laminoplasty: These procedures are used to remove a portion of the bone or ligament in the back of the vertebrae, allowing more space for the spinal cord.
- Cervical Corpectomy and Fusion: This procedure removes a portion of the vertebrae, allowing more space for the spinal cord.
- Cervical Disc Replacement: This is a newer procedure that replaces damaged or worn-out discs with artificial ones.
Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson is committed to helping every patient find the relief they need. With his wealth of experience and expertise, he will work with each individual to develop an appropriate course of treatment that fits their needs and lifestyle. If you’re looking for compassionate, on-on-one care from a top-rated spinal specialist, schedule your first appointment at New York Spine Care today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes acute and chronic neck pain?
Acute cervical pain, neck pain conditions, comes on suddenly, often following an accident or traumatic injury such as whiplash where the head is rapidly jerked forward and back. Neck pain can also result from a disc herniation, muscle tear, neck strain (muscles) or neck sprain (ligaments).
If you have weakness in your spine due to spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis or other conditions, even a sneeze can cause injury and bring about the sudden onset of symptoms.
Chronic neck pain is pain that persists and/or progresses. Some of the causes of chronic pain of the cervical spine include:
- The natural aging process, which can cause degenerative changes in the vertebrae
- “Bent neck” syndrome from looking down for long periods (such as when texting)
- The stress and strain of daily living – even emotions can contribute to neck pain
- Congenital abnormality or deformity
- Poor posture
When should I see a spine specialist for my neck pain?
If you're experiencing symptoms such as stiffness, muscle spasms, headaches, or pain that worsens with certain activities, it's crucial to consult an expert like Dr. Brisson for proper diagnosis and treatment.
When is my neck pain an emergency?
If you experience acute neck pain accompanied by any of the following symptoms, you must seek medical treatment right away to rule out serious conditions:
- Sensitivity to light
- Confusion or mood changes
Having these symptoms doesn’t necessarily indicate a medical emergency, however, it is important to consult your physician to rule out infection, illness or other conditions.
How can I get started with the best neck pain doctor near me?
At New York Spinal Care, we make it easy to get started with the best spine specialist NYC has to offer. Just use our simple online scheduling tool to request your first appointment with Dr. Brisson.