Spine Specialist in New York City
Back pain is very common and can be debilitating. You probably know all too well how spinal pain can affect your ability to perform ordinary tasks, exercise, or walk. Some research even shows that back pain is on the rise – and people who live a sedentary lifestyle are more at risk.
At New York Spine Care, Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson and his team know that severe back pain can steal your independence and even your ability to enjoy life. Dr. Brisson treats every patient with the respect they deserve, understanding that back pain of all types is debilitating and worrying.
When you become our patient, we promise you:
- The expertise and experience you need
- High standards and quality of care
- Excellence in patient care beginning the moment you come through the door
If you’re ready to take your life back from chronic back pain, let New York Spine Care help. With our compassionate approach, advanced technology and personalized plans of care, we can get you back on your feet feeling better than ever before. Make an appointment today – we look forward to meeting you!
Minimally-Invasive Spine Care
Conservative Treatment Options for Back Pain
Back pain is a common ailment that affects millions of people worldwide. Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson, a renowned specialist in NYC, is dedicated to helping patients find relief from their back pain. With years of experience and expertise, Dr. Brisson can diagnose and treat a wide range of common conditions that cause back pain, including:
- (opens in a new tab): This is a condition in which the discs between vertebrae become worn, resulting in back discomfort.
- (opens in a new tab): This is a condition in which the discs between vertebrae become herniated or ruptured, causing pain and other symptoms.
- (opens in a new tab): This is a narrowing of the spinal canal, which can cause nerve compression and radiating pain.
- Back Bone Spurs: These are extra bone growths that can form on the spine, resulting in pain.
- Sciatica/Lumbar Radiculopathy: This is a condition in which the nerves in the lower back become compressed, resulting in radiating pain and/or numbness.
- Lumbar Myelopathy: This is a condition in which the spinal cord becomes compressed, resulting in radiating pain and/or numbness.
- Lumbar Spondylolisthesis: This is a condition in which one vertebra slips over another, resulting in pain and other symptoms.
- Scoliosis: This is a sideways curvature of the spine, which can cause pain and other symptoms.
Many patients can find relief from their back pain through non-surgical treatments, and Dr. Brisson is passionate about offering the most conservative treatment options first. These treatments may include:
- Pain medications
- Physical therapy
- Lifestyle modifications
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Topical ointments
- Corticosteroid injections into the affected area
If these treatments do not provide adequate relief, Dr. Brisson will discuss the possibility of surgical intervention with his patients. He is experienced in various types of leading-edge minimally invasive spinal surgeries which may offer long-term pain relief, including:
- (opens in a new tab): A particular specialty for Dr. Brisson, correcting failed spinal surgeries from other physicians
- (opens in a new tab) (Single or Multi-level)
- Bone Graft/Revision/Anterior/Posterior Lumbar Fusion: Joining two or more vertebrae together
- Discectomy: Removing a herniated disc
- Decompression Surgery
- Lumbar Laminectomy: Trimming the lamina to create more space
- Recess Decompression: Trimming the ligament to create more space
- Spinal Stenosis Surgery: Narrowing the hole where the nerves pass through
- Disc Replacement: Replacing worn out discs with artificial ones
- Scoliosis Surgery: Correcting a spinal curvature
Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson is committed to helping patients find the best treatment option for their specific needs. With a comprehensive understanding of back pain causes, symptoms, and treatments, Dr. Brisson provides expert care to help you regain your quality of life. Don't let back pain control your life – consult with Dr. Brisson today to begin your journey to relief.
Frequently Asked Questions
What commonly causes acute and chronic back pain?
Acute lower back pain comes on suddenly, often following an accident or traumatic injury. It can result from a disc herniation (bulge, tear or rupture,) a muscle tear, strain or spasm or a tear in a ligament. If you have weakness in your spine due to spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis or other degenerative condition, even a sneeze can cause injury and bring about sudden onset of symptoms. It wouldn’t be uncommon for you to have a degenerative condition in your back – by the time we are 50 years old, 85% of us do.
Chronic back pain, on the other hand, is pain that persists and/or progresses. Some of the causes of chronic back pain include:
- The natural aging process
- Lack of exercise
- The strain of sitting for long periods at your desk or computer
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Repetitive motions
- Stress and strain of daily living
- Congenital or life-long conditions that may or may not have been treated
When should I see a doctor about my back pain?
If you're experiencing symptoms like muscle aches, shooting or stabbing pains, limited flexibility, or pain that worsens with movement, it's essential to consult with an expert like Dr. Brisson for proper diagnosis and treatment.
When is my back pain an emergency?
Please note: It is important that if acute (sudden) back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, you must seek medical treatment right away to rule out serious conditions:
- Neurological symptoms like tingling, numbness or weakness in your legs, groin or hips
- Fever that doesn’t respond to treatment
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
If any of these occur along with pain in your back, don’t wait to get medical attention.
How can I get started with the best spine specialist near me?
At New York Spinal Care, we make it easy to get started with the best spine specialist NYC has to offer. Just use our simple online scheduling tool to request your first appointment with Dr. Brisson.