Surgical Lumbar Spine Pain Treatment in NYC
Lumbar spinal fusion surgery is a procedure designed to stop movement of a painful vertebral segment in the spine, located between the rib cage and pelvis. By fusing two adjacent vertebrae together, the joint motion can be eliminated, which helps to decrease pain that is caused or worsened by movement.
At New York Spine Care, Dr. Paul-Marie Brisson has more than 25 years of experience performing lumbar fusion surgeries in New York City, making him one of the leading experts in the area. With a compassionate, personal approach to each and every patient, Dr. Brisson utilizes the least-invasive surgical techniques available to provide you with the best possible treatment for your individual needs.
If you’re ready to receive top-rated care from some of the most trusted back surgeons near you, schedule your first appointment today. Let Dr. Brisson and the expert staff at New York Spine Care care for you and heal your back pain for good.
NYC’s Expert Lumbar Spine Specialist
Lumbar Fusion Surgery for Lower Back Pain
Although there are many methods that may be used for lumbar fusion surgery, the basic process is to graft the bones to the problematic segment of the spine, stimulating the growth of new bone. As the bone grows between the two vertebrae, it creates a bone fusion. The previously mobile joint is thus replaced by one, long bone. The bone graft may be taken from the patient’s own body or a bone bank, or may be performed using synthetic graft substitute.
Many spinal conditions may require a lumbar fusion surgery, including lumbar degenerative disc disease, spinal decompression for the treatment of spinal stenosis or herniated discs, an unstable spine as a result of tumors or infections, injury-induced fractures, scoliosis, or deformity.
The particular type of lumbar spine surgery will be determined based on extensive examinations and tests. If Dr. Brisson determines that non-invasive treatments are not providing relief, he will provide a comprehensive treatment plan for you and determine if a lumbar spine fusion surgery may be needed, and which type is best for your individual situation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most common lumbar spine pain causes?
The most common causes of lumbar spine pain include:
- Muscle or ligament strain: Overuse or injury to the muscles and ligaments in the back can cause pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
- Herniated disc: A herniated disc occurs when the soft inner layer of a spinal disc bulges out through a tear in the outer layer, putting pressure on nearby nerves and causing pain.
- Spinal stenosis: Spinal stenosis occurs when the spaces within the spine narrow, putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerves and causing pain, numbness, and weakness.
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that can affect the joints in the spine, causing pain, stiffness, and decreased mobility.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis is a condition in which one vertebra slips out of place and onto the vertebra below it, causing pain and nerve compression.
- Sciatica: Sciatica is a condition in which the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down through each leg, becomes compressed or irritated, causing pain, numbness, and tingling sensations.
If you're experiencing lumbar spine pain, it's important to seek medical attention to identify the underlying cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan.
Is lumbar fusion the same as lumbar disc replacement?
While Dr. Brisson is able to perform both, lumbar fusion and lumbar disc replacement are two distinct surgical procedures for treating spinal conditions.
- Lumbar fusion, also known as spinal fusion, is a surgical procedure in which two or more vertebrae in the spine are fused together to stabilize the spine and reduce pain caused by spinal instability. During lumbar fusion surgery, the surgeon removes the damaged disc and inserts a bone graft or implant, which fuses with the adjacent vertebrae over time.
- Lumbar disc replacement, on the other hand, is a surgical procedure in which a damaged spinal disc is removed and replaced with an artificial disc. This procedure is designed to preserve motion in the spine while reducing pain caused by a damaged disc.
While both procedures aim to relieve pain and improve mobility, they are not the same. The choice of surgery will depend on the patient's specific condition, symptoms, and overall health. It's important to consult closely with a spine specialist like Dr. Brisson to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for your individual needs.
Can lumbar fusion surgery be done using minimally-invasive techniques?
Yes, lumbar fusion surgery can often be performed using minimally invasive techniques. These procedures use small incisions and specialized surgical tools to reduce the amount of tissue damage and promote faster recovery times.
How can I get started with the best lumbar spine surgeons near me?
At New York Spinal Care, we make it easy to get started with the best spine specialist NYC has to offer. Just use our simple online scheduling tool to request your first appointment with Dr. Brisson.