Find Relief From Neck Pain, Numbness, and Weakness
It’s crucial to get neck pain treatment as soon as possible to live a pain-free life and prevent the possibility of additional damage.
A FEW CAUSES OF NECK PAIN
- Disease — neck pain can be a side effect of rheumatoid arthritis, meningitis, cancer and more.
- Herniated disc — the cushions between vertebrae have a soft nucleus and tough shell. If any of the nucleus matter pushes through the shell, it can compress nerves.
- Spinal stenosis — a narrowing of the spinal canal pinches the nerves. Common to people over age 50, osteoarthritis results from normal wear and tear, but treatment can relieve symptoms.
- Muscle strains — overworking the muscles by spending too many hours hunched over your electronics or doing too many reps at the gym.
- Whiplash — whenever the head is yanked back and forth quickly, the soft tissues of the neck might get stretched farther than they should.
If you experience acute neck pain plus confusion, drowsiness, fever, headache, light sensitivity or vomiting, cervical spine pain may be just a symptom of a more serious problem. You need neck pain treatment immediately to discover the underlying cause, which may be a medical emergency.
SURGERY OPTIONS FOR NECK PAIN
Neck pain treatment always starts with physical therapy. Options include stretching and exercise to relieve pain and increase range of motion; anti-inflammatory medications or muscle relaxants; steroidal injections at the location of the pain. When these don’t do enough, one of these neck pain surgery options may be indicated:
Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) removes one or more herniated discs and joins two adjacent vertebrae together.
Cervical Spine Fusion joins two bones to help stabilize the neck; in some cases, titanium implants or plates join the vertebrae together until new bone grows between them.
Posterior Laminectomy and Laminoplasty reduce pinching on the nerves by removing the thin bony layer covering the spinal canal so a disc can move back into place while removing bone spurs in the canal.
Cervical Corpectomy and Fusion removes a whole vertebra or disc then joins surrounding vertebrae.
Complex Revision of an ACDF removes previously inserted implants and hardware which have failed or inserts new hardware, implants or additional bone grafts.
Dr. Brisson will always explain the details, risks, and benefits of any procedure. After 25 years in practice in Manhattan, Dr. Brisson has earned a reputation few physicians can match for relieving pain. Contact the office today if you need neck pain relief. The sooner treatment starts, the sooner you find relief.