If you suffer from back pain, you may need to have back surgery at some point. This can help to correct alignment and relieve pain. But before you can feel better and be rid of that pain, you still need to get through recovery. The recovery period can sometimes be lengthy and difficult. But you can help the process go more smoothly. Here are some tips to recover more quickly, plus advice on what to do if the back pain persists.
THE ROAD TO A FAST POST-SURGERY RECOVERY
The following tips will help you recover completely and quickly:
- Follow Your Doctor’s Instructions: This may seem obvious, but surprisingly, not every patient understands the importance of this step. Many people simply follow the instructions that they believe apply to them and ignore the others. You should follow all instructions, and if you have questions about whether something applies to you, ask your doctor.
- Keep Every Follow-Up Appointment: These appointments may seem routine, but they are essential for keeping your recovery on track. Your doctor may catch complications which otherwise would derail your recovery, but that cannot happen if you don’t attend the appointment.
- Prevent Infection: It’s not likely that you will be touching an incision on your back (unless it’s your lower back), but you should make sure that anyone who changes bandages or touches the incision washes their hands beforehand.
- Inspect the Incision: Use a mirror to check out your incision. If it is pink or red, has wound drainage, or has missing or damaged stitches or staples, it may be infected. When this happens, you should call your doctor immediately.
- Stay Hydrated and Eat Properly: If you are dehydrated or suffering from malnutrition, you will face problems with recovery. Drink plenty of water and eat according to your doctor’s instructions, including any special diet your doctor feels will help you. If you are nauseated or experience a loss of appetite, bring it up with your doctor. He or she may be able to provide medication to help you eat.
WHAT TO DO IF BACK PAIN PERSISTS
If you are experiencing back pain with no apparent relief, you may need to see a specialist who can help you with spine surgery or other treatments. Dr. Paul Brisson in New York, New York, can help you recover quickly so you can get on with your life. His office provides back pain treatments, starting with minimally invasive treatments. We offer several types of back surgery to correct your pain, including bloodless spine surgery. Contact Dr. Brisson’s office today to schedule a consultation for your back pain.